Nothing says summer like an epic pool entry. Think of Ron Burgundy’s cannonball in Anchorman. Hamilton “the Babe” Porter’s splash in The Sandlot. Or Rodney Dangerfield’s famous Triple Lindy in Back to School.
This week, the actors will be on the sideline for the Tokyo Olympics 10-meter platform diving competition as pair of Americans – Brandon Loschiavo and Jordan Windle – have a shot at a medal in Friday’s event (Saturday in America’s time zones). In this week’s installment of Crossing the Mainstream, our look at the best bets in niche sports, we’ll get you ready for the diving competition with a rundown of all the odds at Pennsylvania sportsbooks.
Tokyo Olympics platform diving odds
The finals for the men’s 10m platform diving competition is set for Friday at 2 a.m. DraftKings Sportsbook has China’s Yang Jian as a sizable favorite in the event at -165.
Brandon Loschiavo has the best odds among the US athletes at +3000. Loschiavo is a 24-year-old California native who finished sixth at the World Championships in 2017 and eighth in 2019. He took first at the USA Diving Championships in 2019.
Fellow American Jordan Windle is +4000. Windle was born in Cambodia, but grew up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 22-year-old finished second in the platform competition at the 2019 USA Diving Championships. His best international finish was a second-place result in the 3-meter at the FINA Grand Prix in 2019. And out of the pool, he co-authored a children’s book with a foreword written by his favorite diver, former Olympian Greg Louganis.
Windle and Loschiavo are farther down the list of diving favorites at DraftKings, but both would provide significant returns if they can grab the gold.
10m platform golf medal odds
- Yang Jian (China): -165
- Cao Yuan (China): +200
- Tom Daley (Great Britain): +250
- Aleksandr Bodnar (ROC): +1200
- Viktor Minibaev (ROC): +2200
- Woo Ha-ram (Korea): +2500
- Brandon Loschiavo (USA): +3000
- Nathan Zsombor-Murray (Canada): +4000
- Jordan Windle (USA): +4000
- Rylan Wiens (USA): +5500
- Ivan Garcia (Mexico): +5500
- Cassiel Rousseau (Austria): +6500
- Sebastian Villa (Colombia): +8000
- Matthieu Rosset (France): +10000
- Timo Barthel (Germany): +10000
- Sam Fricker (Austria): +10000
- Noah Williams (Great Britain): +15000
- Andres Villareal (Mexico): +25000
- Rafael Quintero (Puerto Rico): +25000
- Isaac Souza (Brazil): +25000
- Reo Nishida (Japan): +25000
- Kim Yeong-taek (Korea): +50000
- Mohab El-Kordy (Egypt): +50000
- Kawan Pereira (Brazil): +50000
- Jonathan Chan (SGP): +50000
- Oscar Ariza (Venezuela): +50000
DraftKings Tokyo Olympics promotion
Finals for the women’s 10m platform competition will be held on Thursday, while the men’s event follows on Friday.
New users at DraftKings can still receive $100 in free bets if the U.S. wins any medal. Users must make at least a $5 deposit between Aug. 2 and Aug. 8 and wager at least $1 on an Olympic event. If the U.S. wins just one medal (they currently have 73), new users will receive a $100 bonus (paid out as four $25 free bets).
So, a single $1 wager on the upcoming diving competition can bring new users a $100 bonus.
That’s a rather epic entry. Just like a giant cannonball into a crowded summer pool.
Lead photo of Brandon Loschiavo by Lee Jin-man/AP.